FileMaker WebDirect is a web application for accessing database files in a web browser. You can use FileMaker WebDirect to access database files hosted by FileMaker Server.
With FileMaker Pro, you can design a database to share with users in FileMaker WebDirect, allowing them to find, browse, and modify data in a web browser.
- Use FileMaker WebDirect to quickly and easily publish the layouts you design in FileMaker Pro as web pages. Create layouts for FileMaker Pro users and web users, with the same design tools.
- Use scripting with FileMaker WebDirect to automate simple tasks, such as finding records, or automate more complex tasks using the “FileMaker WebDirect-compatible” set of FileMaker script steps.
- Use accounts and privilege sets to control the security of your database.
FileMaker WebDirect is available to databases hosted by FileMaker Server, which includes all the software you need to publish your database as web pages within a local network or intranet. With an Internet connection (typically provided through an Internet Service Provider) and an IP address, you can publish to Internet users on the World Wide Web.
To publish databases on the web:
- Open the database files in FileMaker Pro.
- Choose File menu > Sharing > Configure for FileMaker WebDirect to open the FileMaker WebDirect Settings dialog box.
- Select the filename to publish on the web from the list of open files.
- Choose which users can access the file:
Provide access to anyone who has the IP address or domain name of the server hosting the database.
Specify users by privilege set
Allow select users access to the database. Users may be asked to enter their account name and password, defined in the Manage Security dialog box, depending on the settings in the File Options dialog box.
Prevent any user from accessing the database with FileMaker WebDirect.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each database you want to publish.
Click OK or choose additional settings.
Tip: Select Don’t display in FileMaker WebDirect homepage in the FileMaker WebDirect Settings dialog box to suppress a filename from appearing in the built-in FileMaker WebDirect Database Homepage. This is useful if your solution includes multiple files and you don’t want all the filenames displayed.
- Upload the database files to FileMaker Server (Choose File menu > Sharing > Upload to FileMaker Server).
Latest from Keefer Rogers
- FileMaker Crosstab Reports with Demo File Download
- FmPro Script Diff 1.72 Adds FileMaker 15, PDF & Unicode Diff Features
- LaunchIt FileMaker Module for Developers to Share Files with Clients
- FileMaker integration with Zendesk by Goya's Salvatore Colangelo
- Jump Start with FileMaker Starter Solutions - uLearnIt