May 9th, 2017
The Layout Objects window is an exciting feature released with FileMaker 16. The FileMaker Layout Object Window allows you to work with stacked objects and quickly find an object or field on a layout. Let’s take a look.
Working with Stacked Objects
Here’s how stacked objects display on the Layout Objects window. I have selected these objects by dragging and selecting in this case, but you could also group all stacked objects together and give it a unique name to be able to search by object name.
Note that selected objects are highlighted on the window. You can hide all other objects in the layout to concentrate on selected objects.
And using the new window, you can:
- Navigate through each object layer
- Manipulate object stack order by drag-and-drop
- Apply conditional formatting
- Set script triggers
Using the Layout Objects window, you can zero in on a specific object by:
- Looking for the object name or field name using the search box
- Filtering by object type or
- Using hiding options. Objects hidden using this option will remain hidden after you exit and re-enter layout mode, but will reset once you exit FileMaker Pro.
Your screen will automatically scroll to the newly selected object if necessary.
Things to Keep in Mind
- You can set object names efficiently using the Layout Objects window.
- You cannot specify the name of a tab control or slide control, but you can name their individual panels.
- You cannot use the Layout Objects window to hide or reorder panels in the tab control or slide control.
- You cannot move or resize each grouped object’s layer individually.
- You can use search box and filter option simultaneously.
The Layout Objects window has made object organization easier and faster. This new feature will especially shine when working with stacked objects or finding instances of a field or object on a layout.
Did you know we are an authorized reseller for FileMaker Licensing?
Contact us to discuss upgrading your FileMaker software.
Gayoung is a certified FileMaker and web developer who takes pride in her work and is driven to provide exceptional solutions for clients. The combination of her friendly nature and willingness to go the extra mile sets her apart in her field of expertise.