Did you ever need to remove the background from an image? For example, maybe you have user photos in your FileMaker database and want all of the photos to be uniform for an ID. Or maybe a product photo that is too busy and it would stand out better with a white background, then check out RemoveBG.
I have had to remove the background from images in Adobe Photoshop for a long time. I have to say this API is pretty on target. Sign up for a free account on their website, which as of writing this allows 50 preview size images and 1 credit, which will give you one full size. I only have the preview size image set up in the Claris FileMaker 19 demo file. After you enter your API Key under the Settings button, you are ready to go. I left some photos for you to try out.
Here are a few things to note:
- Formats can return your image in a PNG, JPG, or ZIP file format.
- PNG returns the image with a transparent unless a Background URL is setup.
- JPG returns the image with a white background unless a Background URL is setup.
- ZIP returns a zip file that contained the original image and an alpha image, which can be used as a layer mask in Adobe Photoshop. This option is cool if you use it as a starting point but then want to fine-tune it. I have forced their Background URL to be ignored when using this option, or it won’t work properly.
- Types are Auto, Person, Product, and Car. Selecting Auto will decide which is the best match for your subject. Selecting a type will be more accurate.
- Background URL is a link to an image that you want your image to be replaced with. You can see the result of the beach scene behind my dog Groot when using this. I know the API allows for a Background Image as well, but for this demo, I have only chosen to use the URL
Remove the background in your own image by clicking the New Record button in the Claris FileMaker 19 Status Toolbar and drag your image into the Original Image container. Select the Format and Type since these are required. Next, Click the Process Button to transfer your image. The new one will appear in the container based on the selection.
Watch the demo video, and hopefully, you can take advantage of this in your solution.
Have a good week!